I wanted to create a tiling stone slab floor texture in Zbrush; one that has old stones that are fairly weathered, done in a slightly stylised art style. Props go out to the tutorials by Tate Mosesian and Brad Smith, they helped my out a ton!
It's been a slow process, but you can see my progress through this piece below.
Polycount thread can be found >here<.
Software used: Maya - Zbrush - NDO - Photoshop - Toolbag 2
- Colour variation is too noticeable and making tiling easy to see in areas.
- Remove broken slabs; they are nice sculpts, but again, make tiling obvious.
- Reduce the rounded, blobby feel of the slabs. They feel too soft currently.
- Slabs are perhaps spaced slightly too far apart.
- Create a roughness map and tweak existing textures, so that they work with PBR in Toolbag 2.
- Mortar/grout is too flat; add more height variation and rotate slabs even more.
- Increase albedo saturation a touch.
- Present with more exaggerated lighting.
- Add subtle cavity information to reflectivity map.
It's taken a while to finish my first art using Zbrush, but I'm happy with the result I have achieved in the end.
A big thanks goes out to everyone who helped me to create my first finshed Zbrush piece; the Polycount forum in particular has given me critique and tips to make something I'm truly proud of.
On to the next one!...