- Learn to use zBrush to a good standard: The big goal for the coming year is to learn zBrush properly, to a fairly decent standard. I have tried two or three times in the past to learn zBrush, but always made the mistake of spreading myself way too thinly and never having the time to fully commit to it. Now I feel like my modelling in Maya is pretty solid, I can move on to learning 3D sculpting, this will take my work to a current-gen level (hopefully). I want to have one or two portfolio pieces up by the end of 2014 that use zBrush heavily.
- Improve on my texturing: I feel like my modelling in Maya is solid now, but my texturing work is still lacking behind somewhat. I am going to put focus on using online sources and some talented people on the art team at Neon Play, to learn new ways and improve my Photoshop and texture skills this year.
- Update my portfolio: Out with the old, in with the new. This year I would like to have three new pieces of artwork in my online portfolio, replacing the two existing (and out of date) pieces currently up. Two environments and one prop, ideally.
- Work on two pieces of art simultaneously: This year I fell into the trap of only have one piece of art on the go at any one time. Next year I will want to make sure to work on two different pieces at the same time, that way I can switch between both when I don't feel like working on a particular one that day.
- Continue to network and attend games events: I managed to go to Eurogamer in London this year and already have a ticket to EGX Rezzed (Birmingham) this spring, so that is great for playing some new games before they come out. I would like to go to at least one developer-focused event this year though. Something like Develop in the summer would be cool, as it would be great to meet some more people who work in the industry and just to continue getting my name out there really.
- Match the standard of the rest of my team: I'm currently a Junior 3D Artist at Neon Play and would like to be pretty much on par with the rest of the guys' modelling and texturing skills by the end of the year. I feel my modelling is almost there, I know Maya well now (in modelling terms) and learn bits and pieces over time. My texturing is getting better, but I would like to be as good by the end of the year.
Have a great year everyone, maybe I will bump in to some of you at some events during 2014.
Thanks for reading! :)